Some days I need a quick breakfast, on other days I can have fun with it. I have this fun breakfast recipe pinned on Pinterest (but of course!) for a while now and so I was so excited when I had the chance to make it one morning. It’s not complicated at all. It just has a few steps to it. Since, I’m making breakfast for just me and my husband (who quit his stressful job weeks ago…yay!), I made just 4 pieces. Here’s the original recipe on the Martha Stewart site for 6 servings.
Bacon and Egg Toast Cups for Two
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
4 slices sandwich bread
4 slices bacon
salt and pepper
Note: You will also need a standard muffin pan. I used a 6-cup pan, leaving the middle cups empty.
1. Preheat oven to 375 F degrees (190 C). Butter the muffin pan cups.
2. Make the bread cups: Flatten the bread slices. You can use a rolling pin or, like me, just use your hands to press down the bread. Next, you want to cut a circle out of the bread slices. You can do this with a 4 and 1/4-inch cookie cutter. I didn’t have this (pardon my very incomplete kitchen!), so I used a small bowl to help me trim the bread to a decent round shape. Resourcefulness, folks.
Once you have the rounds all cut out, slice each round in half. Take two halves and press them down into each muffin cup. They will overlap a little bit but if you have a bigger pan, you might have a gap in the middle. Use extra bread to cover any gaps. Brush the bread cups with butter.
3. In a skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon but not all the way through since it will continue cooking in the oven.
4. Assemble toppings: Put a slice of bacon on each cup. Now, the fun part. Crack one egg over each of the cup. Season with a little salt.
5. In the oven, they go. Bake for 20 minutes. When done, take out of the oven, loosen the cups by a running a small spatula around them. Transfer to a plate and munch away!