I saw this on Pinterest and wanted to try it right away. Since Ren started a regular office job, he leaves for work early in the morning and it’s rare that I get up and fix him breakfast because I usually work late into the night. He doesn’t mind this because he’s not a big breakfast eater like me. A small bowl of cereal or a light sandwich is usually enough for him. So this breakfast-in-a-jar is great for us! I made several jars ahead good for a couple of days so Ren had something all ready to eat in the morning. And of course it’s incredibly healthy! Here’s what I did:
Quick Breakfast in a Jar
Note: I used half-pint jars.
Basic Ingredients: 1/4 cup each of rolled oats, milk (full cream, skim, soya, nut milk, etc.), plain yogurt
Sweeteners: local honey or maple syrup
Mix-ins 1: Dried blueberries, raisins and roughly chopped walnuts
Mix-ins 2: Dried cranberries, chopped cherries, cinnamon, apple & strawberry flavored granola
* No exact measurements for the mix-ins/toppings, roughly a handful.
1. Put everything together in a jar in this order: oats, granola (if using), milk, yogurt, sweetener, spices, fruits and nuts.
2. Close the jar tightly.
3. Leave in the fridge overnight.
If you have a very busy week coming up, this is the perfect breakfast!
For next week, I’m excited about the following flavor varieties:
1. Peach-Banana with almonds and honey
2. Cinnamon, nutmeg, walnuts, raisins, applesauce or apple juice
3. Cranberries, orange zest, almonds
4. Strawberry, peanut butter, banana
5. Toasted dried coconut, almonds, vanilla, raisins
Let me know if you think of anything else! 🙂